6 Critical Ways to Fight Winter Skin Parch with CBDBy Hannah Smith
CBD has successfully crept its way into so many aspects of our lives, from our lattes to our mascara to nearly everything in between. Some people feel like the surge in popularity of CBD is merely a trend, but we know better than that. It’s proven to be a remedy for anxiety, sleep, and even epilepsy. But did you know it can also be your number one sidekick in combating winter skin parch?
We know winter skin is a drag: Dry patches take over the body, sensitivity is increased, and you’re likely prone to much more redness. But CBD can be a great ingredient to help ease the symptoms of winter skin blues. With the plant’s immense calming and anti-inflammatory properties and help from our expert friends, we’ve narrowed down a few of our favorite CBD skin products that’ll help you kick flaky skin to the curb.
1. TRY A CBD SERUM
New York City dermatologist and proponent of the cannabis plant, Dr. Mona Gohara, first and foremost suggests facial serums as the most effective form of CBD skincare. “They are very light, heavily concentrated, cosmetically elegant, and easy to layer,” she says. The Khus+Khus Face Serum is great because it’s formulated with cult favorite ingredients such as squalane, black currant seed oil, and of course, CBD. As formulators at Khus+Khus put it: “By controlling skin differentiation genes with the use of phytocannabinoids, we can create a balanced healthy skin on a cellular level; this is where CBD cannabinoids are most effective.” Use it under your moisturizer to allow the product to penetrate deeply and allow the CBD to begin healing any dry, red skin.
2. EQUIP YOURSELF WITH A GOOD CBD MOISTURIZER
You know the anti-inflammatory properties we mentioned? Dr. Gohara notes that those properties give “a therapeutic effect in eczema and psoriasis” — both of which always worsen in the winter. If you find yourself in this boat, try slathering on Dr. Kerklaan’s Natural CBD Skin Cream. People with sensitive skin out there, rejoice, because the cream is also hypoallergenic and fragrance free, to avoid any further irritation. (It’s also a favorite of our very own co-founder and CEO, Kate!)
3. ALWAYS REACH FOR A CBD FACE OILFace oils are where it’s at during the winter, even with acne prone skin. According to Dr. Gohara,“feelings of itch, pain, and heat” can be mitigated with CBD products. “These signs of inflammation can be seen in acne as well,” she adds, noting that CBD has proven to be antibacterial, which is key when fighting acne. If you find your acne flaring up in the winter, opt for a fan favorite like Apothecanna's Everyday Face & Body Oil. Avocado oil delivers deep hydration and a dose of antioxidants while CBD provides relief to angry pimples. Add to that the incredible anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, and you’ll be on your way to clearer skin in no time.
4. EXPERIMENT WITH A CBD BODY OILIf a body oil is more your style than a cream, try a beautifully rich oil like the Ritual Body Oil by Cordial Organics. It works double duty by helping to calm any inflammation with the skin, while also easing a worried mind. Apricot, jojoba, baobab, argan, and hemp are the primary oils used in this product to deliver intense hydration all over the body, with CBD to calm any irritation and to ease muscle tension. It also contains an aromatic blend of lavender, clary sage, myrrh, and palo santo essential oils to uplift your mood. Think of it as a mini-spa treatment in a bottle.
5. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A CBD MASK
By now, we’re sure you understand how anti-inflammatory CBD can be for the skin, but did you know CBD also has antioxidant properties? According to Dr. Gohara, antioxidants absorb free radicals, which are the chemical particles that wreak cosmetic havoc on the skin, weakening collagen and elastin and speeding up the aging process. (Gasp.) So if you’re not only looking to calm inflamed skin, but you’re also looking to fight signs of aging, the Beboe High Potency CBD Mask is your new BFF. It easily delivers CBD to the skin to help support cell renewal, while simultaneously dosing you with deep moisture. The mask is formulated with aloe and algae extracts, both of which are conditioning, as well as other nourishers like vitamin c, vitamin e, and plant-extracted AHAs to leave skin glowing.
Beboe High Potency CBD Mask, $10.80 to $46.80
6. KEEP THOSE PILLOW LIPS MOIST WITH A CBD BALM
We cannot possibly talk about winter skin without touching on lips. Vertly Lip Butter, a fave at Miss Grass HQ, is formulated with some of the most hydrating ingredients like shea butter, cacao butter, and jojoba oil to keep your most gentle skin from cracking and drying out. But the real perk is that this butter isn’t just reserved for the lips: It can be used on any area with roughed or chapped skin, like elbows or knuckles even. The founder, Claudia Mata, notes that the butter is also great for repairing sun damage making it perfect for some much needed post-sun hydration.